Monday, December 27, 2021

Year In Review: 2021 in First Lines!

 

I always start a new year with this!


As usual at this time of year, I review and share my reading/blogging year with First Lines.

Simply put, we share the first line of the first post of each month and see what that overview tells us about our year. Often it can be an uncannily accurate summary.

If you haven't tried this before, give it a go this year; it's a fun exercise, and often summarizes the year quite efficiently. If you do, please share a link in the comments so we can all enjoy!

Here is my 2021 Year in First Lines: 


January:

This slim book is my first pick for reading in line with the Japanese Literature Challenge, hosted by Dolce Bellezza for 14 years now. [from Territory of Light]

February:

I recently gave a class on Bibliotherapy for my library, and in my research I came across this book. [from The Reading Cure by Laura Freeman]

March:

I picked up this collection of Nella Larsen's writings recently, and decided to read her classic, Passing, for the year 1929 of my Century of Books project. [from Nella Larsen's Passing ]

April:

I just finished the newest novel by Karin Tidbeck, The Memory Theater. And I loved it! [from The Memory Theater]

May:

I've just started reading some more Patricia Wentworth -- I'd only read one standalone mystery of hers before, but my husband scored a nice set of 6 or 7 titles in the same edition at the thrift store a while back (when they were open between lockdowns!). [from Anna, Where Are You?]

June:

I picked up this delightful middle grade novel recently, after its Edgar Award win. [from Premeditated Myrtle]

July:

It's time for another year of the Canadian Book Challenge to commence. [ from Canadian Book Challenge Enters Year 15]

August:

August is Women in Translation Month! [from #WIT Month 2021 is Underway! ]

September:

Although August and Women in Translation Month is over for this year, I've finished a few more titles that I started in August, so before I move on to other books, there are a few more reviews to share!  [from The Ladies From St. Petersburg]

October:

Another Millar, one of a trio I've read recently, this one introduces her detective Tom Aragon, who appears in three novels. [from Ask For Me Tomorrow]

November:

I've been looking forward to this novel by the very funny and sharp Saskatchewan writer, Dawn Dumont. [from The Prairie Chicken Dance Tour]

December:

Just in time for Christmas, this latest entry into the Myrtle Hardcastle mystery series hits the spot! [from Cold-Blooded Myrtle]

**************************************************

An interesting reading year this year -- lots of challenge reading, quite a few mysteries, a wonderful middle grade series discovery, and a few classics as well. Looking back this way reminds me that I was giving a Zoom class early on this year; it feels ages and ages ago now! But I discovered many fascinating titles through challenges and through prepping classes and my own reading challenges like the Literary Sewing Circle as well. 

I'm hoping to get back into a more regular reading and reviewing schedule in 2022 -- I'm not sure what happened to 2021, it's all rather a blur. I'm sure many of us had the same kind of year though.  Here's to solid reading mojo in 2022!


3 comments:

  1. This was was definitely "a year"! I haven't felt comfortable browsing for books in my library (or bookstore). We've all definitely needed inspiration this year, and I thank you for that! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, and here's to a year of renewed browsing and reading discoveries :)

      Delete
  2. Here's to 2022 being the "After Times", cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!