Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Challenges Past and Challenges Ahead

Last year I set myself a few long term challenges that weren't new to me -- I didn't have the mental space to go all in with really challenging and novel projects in 2021, like many people, I imagine. So here are the few that I participated in during 2021, some now done and some ongoing.

I always read along with the Canadian Book Challenge, which runs from July 1 - July 1. I finished my list for the 14th Challenge, and now we're working along on the 15th Challenge, hosted by Shonna of Canadian Bookworm.  I'm doing pretty well, at 10/13 right now thanks to some Women In Translation reading and some very entertaining middle grade fiction. But still more to go. This is a low pressure readalong that I enjoy, so I'll keep participating as long as it's running.


I'm still reading along for my ACOB Challenge -- A Century of Books was created by Simon at Stuck in a Book some years ago. The first time I did it I took 4 years to read a whole century; last year I said I wanted to finish it in 3 years, by the end of 2021, but I'm not *quite* there. I hope to be able to get all my reviews for this challenge up by the end of January/February so I can start another list again ;)

I finished reading my Classics Club list in 2020 and was planning to start another. I created a list in earlyish 2021, but have only read a couple of titles, and have not officially rejoined the challenge. Planning to do so in 2022!


As always, I enjoyed reading for August's Women in Translation Month, which is more of a readalong than a challenge per se, but it helps me to focus in on my reading and reviews. I'll keep participating as long as it goes on as well. This year I really went all in and posted every day in August. So many great works in translation out there. Founder Meytal Radzinzki of Biblio.com also launched a new WIT website this year which is simply wonderful, if you are all interested in this project be sure to check out that site.


And finally there's my own challenge, of sorts, the Literary Sewing Circle. This is a readalong I host on my sewing blog, Following the Thread, twice a year. We read a book together and then sew something inspired by our reading. This year we read Karen Tidbeck's Amatka in the spring, and Simone St. James' The Sun Down Motel in the fall. Two more to come in 2022. 


I hope you also have reading plans that make you excited about a whole new year of reading choices. I know that I enjoy seeing other people's lists and plans to get me back into a reading groove.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you will be rejoining Classics Club. It has really helped me read more of the books I have always wanted to read but somehow never seemed to get to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is what I'm hoping it will do -- so easy to be distracted by newer books and the older ones just shuffle to the bottom of the list even though I've always wanted to read them!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!