Saturday, December 29, 2018

Challenges Past, Challenges Ahead

Photo by Gaelle Marcel on Unsplash

Here is the roundup of the Reading Challenges I participated in this year - it felt like I read a mountain of books for these challenges, and I discovered some great new stories that I might not have otherwise. That's always a good thing! I usually participate in challenges only if I am really planning to read in that vein anyhow: I have so much to read that I don't really need to be prompted :)

But here's how I did with the Challenges I read for this year, and then a little about what I think I might join in on next year as well!



Challenges Done:



The Canadian Book Challenge: this one runs from July 1 to July 1, and as I'm the host of this particular challenge, I read along quite regularly! I've already hit the 13 titles that we aim for in this challenge but I keep adding each Canadian title I read. You can join in too anytime before July 1 for this year's go round.



The Classics Club Challenge: I joined in on this one last year - it's a five year challenge to read 50 classics (books selected by you, which have been published at least 25 years ago). I read more than I thought I had this year -- I'm now at 18/50 -- and have until 2022 to finish up.


RIP XIII - I had to join in on the by-now-classic spooky reading challenge this fall as it was Year 13, and what better for spooky books? I read a couple of fabulous modern gothics, my favourite kind of spooky read, and a couple of surprise finds too.



Women In Translation Month: this runs all throughout August and is more of a readalong than a challenge, really. The goal is to read and share as much of your reading of women in translation as possible. This year I really tried to review or share a booklist every day in August, and I read some fabulous stuff.


A Century of Books (ACOB): this Challenge was created by Simon at Stuck in a Book and was intended to be a one year challenge; I began four years ago. This fall I really got the urge to finish it off by the end of this year, and I did. In a final push this fall I read the last few titles I needed to complete this challenge, and found one of my faves of the year that way! I am so glad I have finally completed this challenge!!


Although the Literary Sewing Circle is a book club/sewalong challenge held at my other blog (Following The Thread) it's also a reading challenge that anyone is welcome to join in on. I'll be starting the next round in mid/late January with a great Canadian read.



Challenges to Come:

Well, this is going to be a short addition, because as I completed my list above, I realized that all I'm planning on doing in 2019 is continuing on with all of the challenges above!

Unless I find a really intriguing one that has escaped my attention so far, I am planning to keep on with the Canadian Book Challenge, the Classics Challenge, will definitely be reading lots more Women in Translation this year, and I'm going to start up another Century Of Books Challenge list -- I did it this time in four years, so my goal is to complete this round in 2 years -- I aim to be finished by the end of 2020.

What about you? Do you love challenges? Or not?

6 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of book challenges as they keep me focused. There are SO many books to read--being a librarian does not help this problem at all--that I get overwhelmed with options sometimes. Challenges give me some guidelines to follow. This year I started my second classics club list and that has been an excellent challenge to get some backlist reading done. And of course the Canadian book challenge has introduced me to a lot of books I wouldn't have known about otherwise. Good luck with your 2019 challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in Mary - I also find, as a librarian, that there are always so many more books to read and/or keep track of, that having some kind of reading plan does help maintain sanity!

      Delete
  2. Nice to hear about your challenges. And I'm glad to be discovering your blog again after a while away. Looking forward to the Canadian challenge. I'll get some read and reviewed in upcoming months - before July 1 anyway. I'm part of the Classics Challenge as well, but have read very few books on my list. I hope to do better this year, but I'm making no promises about anything. 2019 is going to be my year of 'no set plans'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Set Plans actually sounds kind of wonderful! I hope you enjoy it. Will look forward to seeing any Canadian reading you'll do this year.

      Delete
  3. Many congrats for finishing A Century of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally! ;) Really enjoyed it, thanks for creating this challenge.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!