Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Unaccustomed Spirits

 

Unaccustomed Spirits / Elizabeth Pewsey
London: Sceptre, c1997.
336 p.

This is a book that I found by chance, at a massive book sale at my regular thrift store, after a church sale donated all their leavings. There were so many books that they were all priced at .50 a piece, to clear out the backlog. I got a boxful, and this one was one I added last minute, thinking that it was only 50 cents, I could take a chance on the cover. 

I'm so glad I did, as I so enjoyed it. In fact, so much that I quickly searched out the rest of the series to read them as well. This book is #5 in the Mountjoy series, but as I found out, can easily stand alone. And I'm glad that it was this one that I discovered first, as it was my favourite in the series, in the end.

It caught my attention because of the cover, which is a very particular kind of British book cover for women's fiction in the 1990s. There are SO many books from that era with this style of white cover with a painting and the author's name writ large. It's also set over Christmas in a crumbling manor house, with resident ghosts. All just my thing! 

Cleo Byng is a young woman who is engaged to a much older man, but has postponed her wedding due to coming down with shingles. Her distant relative has a country house that he needs a housesitter for, so she takes up the post, leaving her intense city job and fiance, and decamping to Haphazard House. 

This house is in Eyotshire, the location for the whole series. And Cleo starts to settle in, finding an old schoolfriend working as a seamstress in town who then moves in with her since Haphazard House is so large and rambling with so many rooms. 

There are various characters who show up in the house, including an extremely handsome ghost hunter who has heard that the house is haunted -- and both Cleo and her friend have their eye on him. And so do the resident ghosts. 

Yes, this house is indeed haunted, by an Elizabethan courtier, Giles, and a Cromwell era officer, Lambert. These two are very different in outlook but have been there together long enough to have a bit of an Odd Couple relationship. They were a delight, and their lute playing and fascination with modern technology (tv and telephones in particular) amused me. 

The tone of the book is a bit arch, a bit romantic comedy but with music, academia, fashion, and plenty of eccentric characters. It's clever and down to earth at the same time, with culture right up against more earthy concerns. I really enjoyed this introduction to the Mountjoys and the whole series, any of which can be read as a standalone. But I'm glad I found this one with the two charming ghosts in it to start with. It got me out of a reading slump with its purely entertaining storytelling. 



2 comments:

  1. What a great find for fifty cents! You know you've had a good day when something like this happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having the chance to browse sales so that this kind of serendipity happens! Perfect summer fun reading, all by accident :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!