Saturday, August 01, 2020

Women In Translation Month 2020

I can't believe it's August again already, and that means it's time for Women in Translation Month! This is such a great initiative started by Biblibio a bunch of years ago now. You can read all about it on her blog, and also follow along with her many statistical analyses of the state of women's writing in translation. Plus she writes very thoughtful posts about translation, world literature, and her own honest book reviews too. You can also find her on twitter and Instagram and follow her posts about #WITMonth



I absolutely love this month. It's the most reading fun I have all year. I've been participating for a few years now, and you can find all my reviews of the Women in Translation I've read by clicking on the #WIT tag on any post. 

I also try to keep reading more women in translation throughout the year, and since the end of August 2019 I've managed a few. Here's what I've read in the last year.



Asleep / Banana Yoshimoto; trans. from the Japanese by Michael Emmerich

The Starlet & the Spy / Ji-Min Lee; trans. from the Korean by Chi-Young Kim

Suite Francaise / Irene Nemirovsky; trans. from the French by Sandra Smith

A Family Lexicon / Natalia Ginzburg; trans. from the Italian by Jenny McPhee

Wash This Blood Clean from my Hand / Fred Vargas; trans. from the French by Sian Reynolds

This Poison Will Remain / Fred Vargas; trans. from the French by Sian Reynolds

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead / Olga Tokarczuk; trans. from the Polish by Antonia Lloyd-Jones

The Travelling Cat Chronicles / Hiro Arikawa; trans. from the Japanese by Philip Gabriel

Elisabeth's Daughter / Marianne Fredriksson; trans. from the Swedish by Anna Paterson


Only nine titles in twelve months-- not at all what I was aiming for. So, more to work on, again. But there were some very enjoyable titles there! I'm sure I'll have many more on the tbr list by the end of the month, that is always what happens when I see all the fabulous books everyone is sharing all month long. 

If you haven't read along before, do join in. Just pick up one book by a woman in translation and read and share. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!