Friday, April 10, 2020

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead / Olga Tokarczuk
trans. from the Polish by Antonia Lloyd-Jones
NY: Riverhead, c2019.
274 p.

Now for a quirky new novel that is also a bit of a mystery. Janina Duszejko is a former English teacher and caretaker of the summer homes in her small hamlet near the Czech border. She is fascinated by astrology and supports animals in the face of the local hunters.

As the book opens, one of her few neighbours (who she's nicknamed Big Foot) has been found dead, apparently having choked to death on a deer bone. Then other strange deaths of local men, all hunters, begin occurring, and Janina is convinced that animals are rising up against their killers.

She is a marvellous character. Strong willed, set in her beliefs, she also teaches children English a day a week, and helps a former student in his efforts to translate William Blake into Polish. Blake is a big influence on this book's aesthetic, too -- there are quotes from Blake as the chapter titles (and the very book title itself) and his otherworldly ethos reflects a part of Janina's outlook too. Although she is, at the same time, very down to earth indeed. 

There is a mystery here: there are murders, and Janina and her small band of friends are watching what's happening. Her neighbour in the small hamlet is also the police detective's son, which she learns to her surprise. So there is that element of straightforward mystery. But there is so much more, as well -- this is Tokarczuk writing, after all. 

The philosophical elements embodied by Blake also include the bigger ideas of who we really are, self-determination, animal rights, humanity's place in the world, our responsibility to one another and to other living things in our world. Plus some wry humour, some political commentary, and a bunch of great characterization. 

After reading Flights, I have to admit that this much smaller book was not at all what I was expecting. But it was a quick read, with an actual plot! I enjoyed it and found that Janina's plight really engaged me, and that her seemingly odd behaviour made sense to her -- and gained her some loyal friends. 

If you are looking for a literary novel that engages with many ideas and also has a strong female lead, plus a puzzling plot to untangle, this is sure to meet that need. Recommended!


10 comments:

  1. I really liked this when I read it last fall. And as you say, reading Flights doesn't in the least lead you to expect this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very different style! But both were enjoyable, I agree.

      Delete
  2. I loved this too - very different from Flights but so unusual and a wonderful female heroine! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a great character and some interesting concepts to think about. Really different from Flights! Although I found Flights to be a brilliant book.

      Delete
  3. I adore the design of the cover! Sounds really interesting. Thanks for the recommendation -- it's going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots to think about here. I think a book club could really dig into this one.

      Delete
  4. I had been putting off reading this as I thought it might be a bit too heavy or dense, but you've made it sound quite delightful. Trouble is I'm having trouble settling to just one book at the moment - swapping and changing between books several times a day. Distracting times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much lighter -- a real plot -- some action too! And it's pretty short, really. I have also been picking up and putting down so many books, the focus level is much lower these days.

      Delete
  5. The cover art made me stop and study it for a second. I thought at first that I was looking at the spines of a trilogy by the same author. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, isn't it? So stark and clever, as you say. I love the unexpected flash of pink.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!