Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Quick Bookly Survey for BBAW

Day 2: a quick survey -- since I missed on the first topic, mutual interviews....you snooze, you lose! Thanks BBAWers for creating this alternate prompt.




Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?

Not usually, beyond a cup of tea... but this summer I've become addicted (yes, that's right -- addicted -- just ask my dh) to sunflower seeds while I read on the porch. I don't know what it is but I must go get my bag of "spits" when I pick up a book and recline on the patio furniture ;)

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?

Horrified. I can't do it. I keep a set of post-it flags nearby to mark things I want to note down later.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears?

Bookmarks -- of all kinds. I love thin ribbons, perfume sample cards, and even REAL bookmarks!

Laying the book flat open?

No.

Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?

Both. My preferences go in waves of one or the other!

Hard copy or audiobooks?

Definitely hard copy. I've tried and tried to listen to audiobooks but it just doesn't work for me.

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?

I prefer to read until the end of chapters, but a natural break in the story will do in a pinch!

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?

Nope, those post-it flags come in handy! Unless I can't figure out a sense of it by context I'll leave it til later.

What are you currently reading?

Some Like it Hot by Gary Paul Nabhan -- an intriguing look at regional food and genetics

Shadow Show: all new stories in celebration of Ray Bradbury


What is the last book you bought?

Let Them Eat Vegan by Dreena Burton.

Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?

Always have more than one on the go. What I pick up depends on my mood.

Do you have a favorite time of day and/or place to read?

Love to read non-fiction in the morning if I can, and fiction anytime else. This summer I've been loving the porch as a reading spot, but otherwise, in my cozy reading chair or tucked up in bed will do as well.




Do you prefer series books or stand alone books?

That depends. Generally I read standalones, but there are a few series I am inordinately fond of (Laurie King's Mary Russell books, anything by Alexander McCall Smith...)

Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?

Not really. It depends on the person I'm talking to. But, for literary fiction I do keep recommending Dianne Warren's Cool Water. It's a Canadian novel that I adore. For more of a genre author, it's always Alexander McCall Smith.

How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)

By when I acquire them. They get put on the shelf in that order and I know where they are -- heaven forbid anyone rearrange a shelf or I'd be at sea.



8 comments:

  1. Loved reading this!

    With so many moves and different sizes of houses we've organized our books all sorts of different ways -- alphabetical, genre, what will FIT on the shelf! It's always fun though, and it's the one part of moving that Marc LOVES doing and will do first.

    Was going to ask if you've seen these book darts from Lee Valley. Marc just picked some up and loves them. I asked if he knew he could Marc favourite passages with them. He said, "Yes, but I don't want to run out of them." They come in a package of FIFTY!

    Here's the link: http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=44956&cat=2,46154,46145,44956

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dixie - thanks for the link -- I have seen those and think they are lovely! As most gadgets from Lee Valley seem to be... :)

    Glad to hear you've settled in and have all your books on their proper shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think I'll remember a word I want to look up but then I never do. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to start keeping a pad or writing a note on my phone for words I need to look up.

    Great interview :)

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love ribbon bookmarks, too. Have been known to turn down pages, though. *blush*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also bought this today and am loving it already: http://www.peeramid.com/

    Did I mention that I now have my own office/library in the house to do my schoolwork? Yet I spent the morning doing schoolwork in bed? Hence, the peeramid is a must. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have many reading similarities with you.
    And "spits" -- oh, I have not heard that one for so long, but when I was a kid [and addicted to them] that's what we called 'em, back in Saskatchewan.
    I never really snack when reading, but enjoy a coffee [or even a beer] when reading.
    Always use a bookmark.
    Do not read books flat out because I DESPISE when the spine breaks.
    Alternate quite freely between fiction and non-fiction.
    I also like reading to the end of chapters, but -- like you, sometimes just quit when there is a sort of obvious break within the chapter.
    I don't write in my books. Even wrote a whole blog about this one time. I can't STAND writing in books. So much so that I have not bought used-books sometimes just because they are laced with someone else's marginalia.
    I used to read more than one book at a time, but nowadays, prefer just one on the go.
    I can't stand audiobooks or e-books. Must be real paper for me.
    I do tend to look up words though, when I don't understand them.
    Tonight I picked up Dan Simmons book Drood from the Library. The thing is as heavy as a case of beer! Should keep me busy for a while....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chrisbookarama & Man of La Book -- I had to start flagging them because I always thought I'd remember to do so after reading, and never did, of course! Now I can read uninterruptedly but also look up definitions when I take a break.

    Vintage Reading - tsk tsk! Dogears! ;) I love using pretty ribbons, though - such a good use for them!

    Dixie - cool product! I've always wanted a reading pillow of some sort...

    Cip - thanks for the answers of your own! I despise broken spines as well. I read my books very carefully :) Good luck with Drood - I've heard both good and bad opinions on it so will wait for your judgement

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!