Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Martel gets faint signal...

Wow, imagine this... after two years of sending PM Stephen Harper books and dvds and fascinating essays, Yann Martel has received three replies! Not from the Great Man himself of course, but from various 'assistants'. The first book, The Death of Ivan Illyich, had a reply, but nothing since... until now.

For all of us following along with the Martel-Harper Challenge, you'll be glad to learn that Martel's essays will be collated into a book this fall, by Vintage Canada. Interesting! It will be entitled What is Stephen Harper Reading? Yann Martel's Recommended Reading for a Prime Minister (and Book Lovers of All Stripes). We're already all ahead on the reading list. :)

4 comments:

  1. maybe he's responding because there's a book coming out about it! We are on top of things, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to check regularly to see if he'd replied, but I'd given up hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting -- I wonder what prompted these replies all the sudden. Cool that they are collecting his essays into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! I had heard that Martel had gotten some replies, but I didn't realize everything was going into a book. I'll want to get it for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!