Sunday, January 06, 2008

Ukrainian Christmas greetings!


Today is Christmas Eve for the Eastern Orthodox. As it is also a Sunday, I had time to cook a huge and proper Christmas meal; perogies, cabbage rolls, borscht, various beet and mushroom and sauerkraut sides, fruit and poppy seed cake for dessert (well, okay, so I bought a few of these things). Now that I'm so completely stuffed that I can barely breathe, it's time to sit down and enjoy the gift I was given for the holiday -- the Pevear & Volokhonsky War & Peace! Yes, my dear husband knew how much I was coveting it and it appeared, like magic. I can't wait to dig in. Pity that work gets in the way of all this reading ahead! :) Now I feel like I'm really taking on a Russian Reading challenge...

3 comments:

  1. I hope you had a nice Christmas yesterday. Here in Armenia, Christmas is also celebrated on the 6th. At the same time, it also marks the end of a week of New Year's celebrations (and a week off from work), visiting friends and eating and drinking lots and lots. It was fun, but I (and most people with me) am kind of glad it's over. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. C rozhdestvom! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on War and Peace. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrthe - yes, celebrating is fun...but so is getting back to a less hectic routine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!