Monday, November 19, 2007

Reading with Rilke (and Martel)


Yann Martel has most thoughtfully been choosing books I've already read during the past few weeks, so I'm easily able to keep up! But I think I want to revisit Rilke. I read this book some years ago (I think as a young university student) so it's time to read the letters again. Does anyone have any memories of this one? I read it for a class and liked it, then for a few years found it too over-used and clichéd, and then I seemed to have grown past that and liked it again. Strange; I'm going to reread it more carefully now, and see where I stand currently!

7 comments:

  1. Rilke is my all-time favorite poet. Hopefully when we clean up our back room we'll find my copy of his poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone else mentioned this particular poet and book sometime last year and I made a note. Thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read this book, but I'd like to, especially after having read and loved The Duino Elegies earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it as an undergraduate art student and absolutely soaked it up. I should re-read too! Maybe I'll snatch up my copy when I go to TX for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it last year, I think, and it was inspiring. I took many notes from this little book, about how to live, how to approach life. Lovely book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love his poetry, and I think this would be a nice addition to my Xmas reading blitz. Some new books, some to be reread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your readers might like to know about LOST SON, the new novel based on Rilke's life and work. The story includes his writing of the first letters to the "young poet" Franz Xaver Kappus from Paris and Italy in 1903.

    The book is available in bookstores and libraries everywhere.

    Find out more at www.mallencunningham.com

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!