Saturday, October 06, 2007

A Paean to Virago Press


I've just seen a lovely article over at the Guardian by Jonathan Coe, all about the influence that Virago Press has had on his writing career. It's wonderful - and he mentions Rosamond Lehmann, one of the authors I discovered over this last year and adore as much as he seems to! He also talks about the newest editions of the Elizabeth Taylor canon, two of which I bought this summer. I love Virago and it's nice to see it's not just women who appreciate the courage and foresight which led to the founding of this press! Go read the article; it's worth the time.

5 comments:

  1. Dorothy also just posted about this article. I have it bookmarked to read. It's so nice that Virago Books is getting some press as well as authors like Elizabeth Taylor (The Atlantic Monthly just printed an article on her, too). I have some Lehmann books that I am looking forward to reading and I really like Taylor. It's nice to hear that men also appreciate Virago Books! I've been working on collecting the older OOP editions--there are lots of hidden treasures in those books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that article too, and wrote a post on it. I need to read more of the Virago authors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the older Virago's as well, somehow I like the green covers. I've found some fantastic authors just by following the green spines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the links--great stuff! I'm going to get more Elizabeth Taylor now--I read Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont, and I'd like to read more...thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for bringing this article to the surface! I found it both interesting and enjoyable. I think I may be one of the few book bloggers I know who has not as yet developed a passion for the Virago publication. Which is likely just as well since everyone else seems to have bought up the cheaper used copies with green covers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!