Thursday, April 05, 2007

Scents of Spring

Today I offer a few lines from Alfred Noyes' poem The Barrel Organ. It brings to mind that other famous line, by Browning: O to be in England, now that April's there...
This poem describes the effect of hearing the barrel organ in the streets of London and of all the songs it plays, one of which is as follows:

Go down to Kew in lilac-time, in lilac-time, in lilac-time;
Go down to Kew in lilac-time (it isn't far from London!)
And you shall wander hand in hand with love in summer's wonderland;
Go down to Kew in lilac-time (it isn't far from London!)

The cherry-trees are seas of bloom and soft perfume and sweet perfume,
The cherry-trees are seas of bloom (and oh, so near to London!)
And there they say, when dawn is high and all the world's a blaze of sky
The cuckoo, though he's very shy, will sing a song for London.

I found this a pretty piece, yet it also has a great swing to its rhythm. It also makes me think of the perfumes of blooming Spring (which I hope we will be experiencing soon, as after a raising of false hopes the weather has decided to bring SNOW to us today...)
And when I think of perfumes, I also think of Patrick Suskind's novel Perfume, which I have been meaning to read since my sister bought herself a copy - when I was in Grade 9. Is there any statute of limitations on TBR items? I also recall the recent discovery of the world's oldest perfumery, in Cyprus. Pretty neat stuff.
And, of course, I can't discuss perfumes without quoting Helen Keller on scent :

Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across
thousand of miles and all the years you have lived

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!