Sunday, April 29, 2007

Last Saskatchewan showcase

Shelley Leedahl has written two children's/young adult novels, three adult books, and two poetry collections (another poetry collection is forthcoming). This indefatigable Saskatoon-based author never seems to stop. She writes, parents, travels, takes photographs, runs, takes and teaches classes, and I just don't know what else.
Talking down the Northern Lights (Saskatoon: Thistledown, 2001) is a collection of intimate, domestic-themed poems, looking at subjects from childhood to motherhood to marriage. Here is one I hope you'll like:

Forever: A Retrospective

Take love, then, from the beginning
Through hand-holding breathlessness
to these complacent days, our passion worn
thin as the heels of our socks.
Desire itself is stuffed in a shoebox
and shoved beneath the bed.

When I was eight I took my turn
in the closet with Donnie and his skin
smelled like lemons. I wish we could stay here
forever, but even as those words
left my tingling lips, I knew I’d killed
something and sure enough, the closet
was never the same again.

My sixteenth year journal is written
in codes but in every margin forever,
forever, as if I could toss my love
like a kite toward the boys
And it would always come back
untangled.

Love after love: the realization,
forever is not the point, never was,
but there it is again, scribbled
on Taylor’s first valentine. Embossed
on my friend’s second wedding invitation.

Shelley A. Leedahl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!