Saturday, April 28, 2007

Governmentally approved reading?

Take a look at Yann Martel's website, What is Stephen Harper reading? He proposes to send a book fortnightly to our Prime Minister, to point out the meaning and vital importance of the arts to a truly lived life. The arts are being badly treated by this government, with international promotion program funding cut entirely, literacy program funding diminished, Canada Council events ignored, etc. As an artist, Yann Martel felt obliged to try to open a dialogue. Interesting; we'll have to see if there is any response at all.

1 comment:

  1. Melanie, thank-you for sharing this grand plan with us. I didn't love Life of Pi, but as I read Martel's writing in the introductory paragraph and first letter I was most impressed. I hope he causes ripples in the pool of 'stillness'.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!