Saturday, October 22, 2022

Killers of a Certain Age

Killers of a Certain Age / Deanna Raybourn
NY: Berkeley, c2022
353 p.


This was a delight, a gory and amusing story of a quartet of female assassins who, having reached 60, are being retired. The book opens on a cruise in which we meet the four distinct characters, who quickly realize that they aren't meant to come back from this cruise. However, their agency has gravely underestimated these older women, and they use that error in judgement to their advantage. 

The escapades of the four women highlight topics of friendship and loyalty, as well as ageism and sexism. They use the invisibility of older women in society to their great advantage while they are trying to uncover who is trying to eliminate them, and why. It's fast moving, furiously funny and fierce at the same time. There are descriptions of murder, of close escapes, and of everyday disagreements and disputes among the women themselves. It's a delightful read, ranging from the Caribbean to Louisiana to England and beyond. And the story flips back and forth between their present predicament and their past lives, explaining how they got into the assassin field, describing their training, and laying the background for present day intrigues. 

I wasn't sure if I would like this one, but people kept telling me to read it so I gave it a try. It was such a light, quick and entertaining read. I thought it was clever and also had some depth in the characters. It feels like it should become a Netflix series as soon as possible. Unless you have a very weak stomach indeed, I'd also recommend this one for a fun adventure with some fabulous women. 
 

4 comments:

  1. I am on the long library list for this one, and I keep talking myself out of buying a copy instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the list isn't TOO long, because it's a really fun one!

      Delete
  2. This is one I want to read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!