Friday, December 27, 2019

Year in Review: 2019 in First Lines



As usual at this time of year, I review and share my reading/blogging year with First Lines.

Simply put, we share the first line of the first post of each month and see what that overview tells us about our year. Often it can be an uncannily accurate summary.

If you haven't tried this before, give it a go this year; it's a fun exercise, and often summarizes the year quite efficiently. If you do, please share a link in the comments so we can all enjoy!

Here is my 2019 Year in First Lines: 

January:

I picked up this book of 16 short stories over the Christmas holidays, obviously drawn to it by the title and the season. [Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm]

February:

It's that time again! [from The Literary Sewing Circle 2019]

March:

I read this charming memoir at Christmas, which was suitable because it's so dreamy -- I think looking back at childhood suits the nostalgic nature of the season. [from The Sculptor's Daughter]

April:

This book, the second in Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey novels, takes us right into the heart of Wimsey's family, when his older brother, the Duke of Denver, is accused of murder. [Clouds of Witness]

May:

And now for some hundred year old Canadian small town drama! [from Up the Hill and Over]

June:

It's the middle of the Depression years, 1936 in the hills of Kentucky. [from The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek]

July:

This was a random book I found on my library's bookshelves while I was pulling books for another purpose entirely the other day. [The Madwoman Upstairs]

August:

It's already Women in Translation month again! [from It's Women in Translation Month]

September:

I feel like I've been asleep all month! [from Asleep]

October:

This was a delightful and very entertaining read which I recently picked up at my library. [Murder on Millionaires' Row]

November:

I always follow awards lists like the Governor General's or Giller prizes, for interest's sake, but never usually bother reading anything on an awards list that I hadn't already planned on reading. [from The Kobzar Book Award]

December:

I was sent this book by the University of Alberta Press, as they know I have a special interest in Ukrainian Canadian topics. [The Stories Were Not Told]


********************************************

Some Christmas reading, some of my favourite reading challenges, some review copies, a lot of Canadian reading, and quite a lot of random reading in there too! This year I was all over the place, reading less because I was busier, and thus reading more randomly and not following a plan at all. 

It was a year of fun discoveries but I hope to blog more in 2020 and get a few more books knocked off some of the lists I've been neglecting. Happy reading to you all! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!