Tuesday, December 27, 2016

2016 First Lines: A Year in Review

My annual calendar choice


As usual at this time of year, I review and share my reading/blogging year with First Lines.

Simply put, we share the first line of the first post of each month and see what that overview tells us about our year. Often it can be an uncannily accurate summary.

If you haven't tried this before, give it a go this year; it's a fun exercise, and often summarizes the year quite efficiently. If you do, please share a link in the comments so we can all enjoy!

Anyhow, without further ado, here is my 2016 in First Lines:

January
I recently read this book on the recommendation of Kate Sutherland, who said it wasn't to be missed, which was then seconded by Kerry Clare, whose review has recently gone up at her blog.

[from Birdie by Tracey Lindberg]

February
The Year of the Monkey begins!

[from Happy Year of the Monkey!

March
I picked up this book on a sale table one day, recalling that I'd seen it mentioned by -- I think it was DovegreyReader & that it had sounded interesting.

[from Meg Lukens Noonan's Coat Route]

April
This charming art book is written and illustrated by Janet Hill, a local painter & bookish type.

[from Miss Moon]

May
Today is the anniversary of the birth of my blog, ten long years ago!


[from  Ten Years of Blogging: How the Time Does Fly!]

June
I was offered a beautiful book for review recently, and didn't hesitate on this one.

[from Shakespeare's (Beautiful) Gardens]

July
John at the Book Mine Set has been running this relaxed challenge for the past 9 years, and now the 10th year of the Canadian Book Challenge is underway

[from A Decade of the Canadian Book Challenge!]

August
It's the 3rd annual Women in Translation month, created and hosted by Meytal at Biblibio.

[from August is #WomenInTranslation Month]

September
This is what I love about the book blogging world...so many enthusiasms! One reading month ends, another begins. 

[from Fall is Here... Because RIPXI is Beginning!]

October
This is a beautifully told, fable-like novel of 19th c. France that I came across by chance and really loved.
 
[from The Hunter & The Wild Girl]

November
I thought I was done catching up with the mystery books I've been reading, after last month's string of reviews, but then I found just one more. 

[from The Keys of My Prison]

December
This was one of my favourite reads of this year -- I've already read it 3 times!

[from Crosstalk]

***********************************

So there it is -- a year full of great books (many recommended by other bloggers), a notable blog milestone in May, and a rash of reading challenges right there in the middle of the year. Sounds like most of my past reading years as well! Hope yours was just as great. Do share a link to your own First Lines in the comments if you've rounded up your year this way as well.

4 comments:

  1. Melwyk,
    I enjoyed your First Lines, and hope to do mine soon, even though my posting has been sporadic this year. Crosstalk sounds like a must-read! I like your choice of calendar for the New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'll keep a look out for yours. It's always fun even if there is a month missing here and there :)

      Delete
  2. Love the look of that calendar! And an intriguing year of reads and first lines.

    kaggsysbookishramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanging up my new reading woman calendar is a bit of a ritual now :) First Lines is a fun way to review the year - lots of memories!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!