Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Readathon TBR!

This coming weekend is the fall installment of Dewey's Readathon. Unlike nearly every other weekend that it has run since the beginning, I am not working! So you know what that means... 24 crazy hours of reading coming up this Saturday/ Sunday!

Yes, I've decided to sign up for the Readathon despite the fact that I'm really getting too old for the whole 24 hours thing. I've decided that I'm going to give it my best shot and see how long I can stay up; reading for the whole day isn't the unusual part for me, it's just how long the day is going to be... :)

The Readathon is great fun, and really well organized -- lots of hourly updates and mini challenges and group activity if you like that sort of thing, hours of uninterrupted reading if you don't -- I'm going to try to follow some of them, but my main goal is to read from a stack of titles that I've had on my Century of Books challenge this year. I have quite a few of my 100 books read, some reviewed, but a lot still to go. Here is my stack of possible reads, but who knows, I may need to take a break and read some lighter fare as the late hours draw in.



The stack is arranged in nearly perfect chronological order (though I don't know how Virginia Woolf jumped the queue and ended up before Jean Rhys, or how Isabel Colegate jumped up a few steps...) and in case you're interested here is the list with dates attached:

The Crowded Street / Winifred Holtby (1924)
Crewe Train / Rose Macaulay (1926)
Between the Acts / Virginia Woolf  (1941)
After Leaving Mr. Mackenzie / Jean Rhys (1930)
One Foolish Heart / June Wilson (1948)
Some Tame Gazelle / Barbara Pym (1950)
My Cousin Rachel / Daphne DuMaurier  (1951)
The Orchid House / Phyllis Shand Allfrey (1953)
We Have Always Lived in the Castle / Shirley Jackson (1962)
The Garrick Year / Margaret Drabble  (1964)
Dora, Doralina / Rachel de Queiroz (1975)
Nights at the Circus / Angela Carter (1984)
Unicorn Sisters / Ursula Holden(1988)
Winter Journey / Isabel Colegate  (1995)
Three Legged Horse / Ann Hood  (1989)
A Celibate Season / Carol Shields & Blanche Howard  (1991)
Faith Fox / Jane Gardam  (1996)
Autobiography of Red / Anne Carson  (1998)


I am looking forward to joining in with (currently) 707 other avid readers this weekend! You can still sign up, though, and get that total growing...


8 comments:

  1. Have fun! I'll be cheering from the sidelines, though not officially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Always fun to give yourself permission to spend an entire day neglecting everything but your reading pile :)

      Delete
  2. Oh that's quite the pile to choose from! I'll be doing the readathon Saturday but there is no way I'll be up for 24 hours. I'll be lucky if I make it past 9:30 that night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of variety to keep from getting bored...and yep, I can't see lasting 24 hours either!

      Delete
  3. Why would you be too old for 24 hours of reading?! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are too kind. It's not the staying up that's the problem as much as the bouncing back...

      Delete
  4. I admire your ambition - that's a HUGE stack :-)

    I can highly recommend the Pym and My Cousin Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished the Pym last night and enjoyed every minute of it. She is always wonderful! At the start of My Cousin Rachel now, so will see how quickly this one goes...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!