Monday, December 23, 2013
Postal Reading Challenge 2014: My List
So that this list won't interfere with the original sign up post, I'm sharing it here on its own. These are just a few of the titles that I'd like to search out next year.
1. Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life / Nina Stibbe
This new book is made up of letters from Nina to her sister at a time when she was nannying for a family who had lots of literary pals -- sounds really fun, especially after reading this review at Pickle Me This.
2. Letters of a Portuguese Nun / Mariana Alcoforado
A classic and one I am really in the mood to reread. I first read this in university, and the only commentary I could find on it was in French, so my French got a bit better ;)
3. Letters of a Portuguese Nun: uncovering the mystery behind a 17th Century forbidden love / Myriam Cyr
But that leads to this book, fairly new, a study of the controversy behind the original letters (who really wrote them?)
4. Sabine's Notebook & The Golden Mean & The Gryphon / Nick Bantock
I reread the first volume of this artbook series this year, and need to read the next ones shortly.
5. Dear Enemy / Jean Webster
This is a follow up to Daddy Long Legs which I read many years ago and enjoyed then. Haven't read this one.
6. A Woman of Independent Means / Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey
It's a Virago. No more needs to be said...