Sunday, November 07, 2010

Revisiting Green Gables


Toronto: Penguin, 1981, c1908.
311 p.

Where does the time go? It seems like just last weekend that I was partipating in the Readathon, but it was nearly a month ago! But I do want to talk about my experience of rereading a very familiar childhood classic -- and eventually review all the other books I read that weekend as well.
But first things first -- on rereading tales of Anne-with-an-E. This is a book I first read when I was around ten or eleven. I still have my first copy, complete with my own spine label and card pocket I created from regular paper, writing them with pink pen for some unknown reason, and attaching with scotch tape. Now that I am a proper librarian I know never to use scotch tape on a book - it has dried up and fallen off, leaving behind discoloured strips. But I still have the pocket and card tucked in the back.

It was a funny experience rereading this book this time around. I last read it a few years ago, and this time as I began I had the odd feeling that I knew the lines so well, it was almost as if I'd written them. Not just the story, but the actual phrases and sentences are laid down in my brain so deeply!

I enjoyed following the structure of the book as Anne arrives in Avonlea: first Rachel Lynde, then Matthew Cuthbert, then Marilla Cuthbert "Are Surprised", in the first three chapters. As Anne settles in, her experiences change her and change Marilla. I think one of the things I love best reading this as an adult is the way Marilla opens up and grows through her life with Anne. Her steady, moral influence is a strong factor in Anne's development, but at the same time Marilla is not ashamed to admit when she is wrong or to respect others who do the right thing. And she has a dormant sense of humour that Anne revives.

I was also reminded how very episodic this book is. Each chapter, after the first few, takes on a separate moment in Anne's childhood, taking her right up to graduation from school. It flies by, and yet feels so rich and full that we as readers always feel like we were a part of Anne's long and dreamy childhood. To me, that shows that LM Montgomery never really intended an eight book series, otherwise she would have left more room for further tales of childhood. As she said in her own diaries, the public was clamouring for more Anne, and she became 'heartily sick of Anne'. Still, this book is a gem and holds up to multiple rereads. I do love Avonlea, and Anne, and especially Marilla.

If you haven't read it yet, do start your career of rereading it now!

5 comments:

  1. >>It was a funny experience rereading this book this time around. I last read it a few years ago, and this time as I began I had the odd feeling that I knew the lines so well, it was almost as if I'd written them. Not just the story, but the actual phrases and sentences are laid down in my brain so deeply!

    I have this SAME experience with Anne of Green Gables, P&P, and a few other books. :) I agree that this stands up to rereading, and I enjoy the rest of the series too if even Montomgery wasn't as big a fan. I feel like I've grown up with Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My partner and I listened to the first two Anne books on audio a few months ago, so I very much relate to the experience of revisiting this as a childhood favorite. Montgomery's Emily books were my favorites (to some degree just because it was exciting to share a name with the protagonist), but I remain totally charmed by Anne, Marilla, Matthew & Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eva - there are a few select books that are so special... this is one for me ;)

    Emily - I agree, I loved the Emily books best - but I'm now rereading Anne of Avonlea and think I'll read my way all through the Anne series again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you always love Marilla as much? I always had some of Anne's fondness for her, but it wasn't until relatively-recent re-reads that I became truly fond of her in her own right; before that, I was more interested in the relationships between Anne-and-Diana and Anne-and-Gilbert, I think. Are you planning to re-read any others of LMM's?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buried in Print - I always liked Marilla but also was more focused on Anne & Diana (Gilbert always felt rather like a place holder to me) It's only in the last couple of rereads that I've really begun to love Marilla and her journey. And I do want to read the whole Anne series again; but then the 2 Pat books, and the Emily ones too...so much to choose from

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!