Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A Month of Poetic Posts

It's back! April brings with it the status of National Poetry Month, and I am going to celebrate once more, just I have in 2007 and 2008, by posting a poem daily. There are many projects ongoing to celebrate the month, and one I find fascinating, which will also give you a poem a day, is the League of Canadian Poets' Poetry Planet blog. You could also read daily interviews with poets over at the National Post's Ampersand, or perhaps read Ben Okri's line-by-line poem he is publishing via Twitter.

I'm setting up a display at the library and hoping to hear some poets reading this month. What about you? Are you organizing/attending/celebrating Poetry events this month?


For the first poem of the month, I am going to share an April-ish verse by American poet Richard Wilbur (b. 1921), beautifully illustrated with a photo by (and of) my lovely niece.


A Storm in April

Some winters, taking leave,
Deal us a last, hard blow,
Salting the ground like Carthage
Before they will go.

But the bright, milling snow
Which throngs the air today—
It is a way of leaving
So as to stay.

The light flakes do not weigh
The willows down, but sift
Through the white catkins, loose
As petal-drift

Or in an up-draft lift
And glitter at a height,
Dazzling as summer’s leaf-stir
Chinked with light.

This storm, if I am right,
Will not be wholly over
Till green fields, here and there,
Turn white with clover,
And through chill air the puffs of milkweed hover.

3 comments:

  1. Great post....thanks for participating in National Poetry Month festivities. I'll be doing things all month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the poetry links, there were a couple I hadn't found yet. I'm going to post a poem by my favorite poet, Billy Collins, every day this month. I posted the first one today.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serena - I'll keep checking on your poetry doings this month as well!

    Kim - love Billy Collins! I'll pop over and check out your American links; mine are mostly to Canadian sources.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!