Friday, February 27, 2009

A Friday tour

Since it's Friday and I've been catching up on some of my blog reading I'll share some of the links I've enjoyed:



Maryb over at Alone with Each Other has found a new perfume called In the Library! It's supposed to represent fine leather bindings and wood polish -- all I can say is I hope it doesn't smell like the public libraries I've worked in. Eau de Body Odour with a hint of musty doesn't seem appealing to me! Read the comments on her post for a wonderful description of how lovely a library can smell to a young boy.



Good news from Europa Editions, the American publisher of The Elegance of the Hedgehog, a book dear to us all due to its recommendation from Dewey. In this season of publishers cutting back on staff, on marketing, on publishing itself, a small and quirky press dedicated to publishing works in translation has turned a profit. Could this be a good resource for the Orbis Terrarum Challenge? (Discovered at January Magazine.)



Local author R.J. Anderson is having her book launch for Faery Rebels: Spell Hunter (also known as Knife in the UK) here in my hometown next month! Yay! Can't wait.


Okay, okay, so I know it's from Oprah's Book Club site, but it's fascinating! What Tolstoy had on his bookshelf -- here's a list of 50 books he felt influenced his writing. Did you know he read Lao Tzu and Buddha?


Why buy used books? Check out this great article on the environmental benefits of buying used. Then read Christine's reasons behind her love for second-hand books. (I love them too. But Christine has found more interesting notes scribbled in her purchases than I ever have.)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link Melanie.

    I'm reading my first Tolstoy - Anna Karenina. So now I'm heading over to check out that link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing me towards Christine's blog. I can't believe I wasn't already reading it! I love her post about second-hand books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mel:

    Thanks for a great post. I definitely have to check out the perfume....I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there were some book launches I could go to in my hometown!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!