Thursday, October 30, 2008

Golden Notebook Reading project

I got this in an email today:


On November 10th, The Institute for the Future of the Book kicks off an experiment in close reading. Seven women will read Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook and carry on a conversation in the margins. ..... Fundamentally this is an experiment in how the web might be used as a space for collaborative close-reading. We don't yet understand how to model a complex conversation in the web's two-dimensional environment and we're hoping this experiment will help us learn what's necessary to make this sort of collaboration work as well as possible. In addition to making comments in the margin, we expect that the readers will also record their reactions to the process in a group blog. In the public forum, everyone who is reading along and following the conversation can post their comments on the book and the process itself.




To get the full story, plus info on each of the seven women who will be participating in the project, go to their website for all the details. It looks like a great idea, I'll have to remind myself to check it out on Nov. 10.

Maybe this will be the inspiration to finally get me reading the copy I picked up at a used bookstore a few months ago. Has anyone read this already? And, remember, it's on the 1001 Books to Read list, for those of you following it. All good reasons to finally read it!

6 comments:

  1. Melanie,

    Now this sounds interesting. I haven't read the book, but I like what they are trying to do. I checked out their website and I'll keep checking back to see how it all goes.

    Meantime, you've been tagged for the "7 Random Facts Tag - Book Edition" at A Reader's Respite! Now come over to see your instructions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great project! Thanks for sharing the information. I'll be checking into it also.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to read it, too - I even bought a copy a few months ago. Looks like I'll be dipping in next month. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Lessing. For some unknown reason, I'm a little intimidated by her books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually own a copy and never got around to reading it yet. I guess it's time. This sounds like an interesting project.
    as a sidenote: I just saw my book blog Fresh Ink Books listed in your blogroll-what a nice surprise. I came here from Geranium Cat. I'm in Ontario too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might be interested in heading over to Arukiyomi's blog and picking up a copy of the new version of Arukiyomi's 1001 books spreadsheet .

    Along with calculating how many books you need to read a year before you die, there's all the 2008 edition books, all those removed from the 2006 edition, links to wikipedia , amazon.com and .co.uk and Google books.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!