Saturday, April 14, 2007

Where there's life, there's hope!

An inspirational stanza by Emily Dickinson:
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all




I think that hope must spring eternal, as I suddenly have hope that I can take on another Challenge! I am limiting myself to one, as I am STILL working on my Chunkster reads!! Plus slowly working on the Reading Across Borders and O'Canada challenge books also. But, I need to shake up my intensive fiction jag a bit, and so I'm going to take on the Non-Fiction Five. Yes, I really am. Here is my working list, with a couple of alternates:



1. Driving Mr. Albert / Michael Paterniti


This is popular non-fiction, with a scientific bent. I've always loved reading about science, and who can beat Albert Einstein for interest?






2. I May be some time / Francis Spufford

History; fits in with my recent Polar Reading focus, and has lots of info on my beloved Titus Oates !




3. The Case for Vegetarianism / John Lawrence Hill


A book of philosophy/ethics, on a subject which you know interests me. I never worry too much about why I'm a vegetarian, so it is difficult sometimes to explain to insistent questioners. Maybe this will provide some intelligent reasoning I can use!





4. Art Objects / Jeanette Winterson


A collection of essays on art, creativity, etc, this has been on my TBR shelf for quite some time





5. The Arcanum / Janet Gleeson


The story of the discovery of porcelain in the West. Sounds great, but has been on my TBR for a couple of years.





Alternates:

Rumer Godden / Anne Chisholm (biography)
Lake of the Prairies / Warren Cariou (memoir; about growing up in Saskatchewan)
The Last Self-Help Book you'll ever need / Paul Pearsall (self-help/psychology; love the subtitle...)

This list may change before the deadline of April 30th, but I think this is it!

4 comments:

  1. I used to have The Arcanum in my pile. It was a gift and it was on a pile on my floor. Two Christmases ago one of my cats got sick and we ended up putting her down. Anyways, she was always in either my room with my books or in my closet and like the day before we took her to the vet to put her down, she left a nice present all over that book. I washed it, but, um, I just couldn't get passed what happened, so off to the ubs it went... And that is my pointless story for the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, Kailana, I can just imagine not wanting to read a book with such bad associations. There is an 80's song that I always lunge to turn off if I hear it, for the same reason - it was playing when one of my cats died. The power of context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Driving Mr Albert is a hoot! You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie! Welcome to the Non-Fiction Five Challenge! You have a great variety here. I hope you enjoy them all. It won't be long before we can start. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!