Monday, February 25, 2013

Science Book Challenge 2013!


I'm very excited to see the return of one of my favourite reading challenges, the Science Book Challenge, and in time for Pi Day too, thank goodness -- how appropriate, as this challenge is "as easy as pi!" 

Rules =
Read 3 (or 3.14!) science books during 2013, then tell us and others about the books you've read--why you liked them or didn't like them--and help spread science literacy.

I found Jeff at Scienticity near the beginning of my blogging life and have always enjoyed his take on things. Joining this challenge is so easy, and it's so great to see all the Book Notes on his website culled from many readers over the years (it's been running since 2008) I love this challenge because it's pretty wide open as to reading choices, and you can go by serendipity or create a reading list beforehand, if you like lists. Then you blog about it, and send your book note to be included in the Scienticity database if you so wish.

Jeff states that the general theme this year is  "Science & Culture"

Your books should have something to do with science, scientists, how science operates, or the relationship of science with our culture. Your books might be popularizations of science, they might be histories, they might be biographies, they might be anthologies; they can be recent titles or older books, from the bookstore or your local library. We take a very broad view of what makes for interesting and informative science reading, looking for perspectives on science as part of culture and history.
I've always chosen my reads rather loosely, but as I do enjoy making lists here is a list of 3 possibilities from books that I have on my shelves or that have been recommended by other bloggers recently.

1. The Arcanum / Janet Gleeson (I'm going to finish this darn book that's been on my list for the past few years!)

2. Colour: a natural history of the palette / Victoria Finlay (I saw this reviewed at A Striped Armchair and it looks fabulous)

3. Connectome: how the brain's wiring makes us who we are / Sebastian Seung (heard about it on Quirks & Quarks at some point)

I hope to see some of you joining in and suggesting books as well!

6 comments:

  1. A fun challenge. I am planning on making a pumpkin pie for pi day. Last year it was strawberry hand pies. I like pi/pie in all its forms! have you read Proust and the Squid by Maryanne Wolf? It's about the neuroscience of reading and so very fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stefanie - think I'll make a mock-cherry pie for Pi Day from a recipe by LM Montgomery... and yes, I've read Proust & the Squid and loved it! Great look at the reading brain. I also loved The Storytelling Animal by Jonathan Gottschall, which I haven't reviewed yet, on kind of the same subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a fun challenge. Maybe I'll join in! I'm interested in reading more nonfiction and have been thinking about a few books that feature science.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misfortune of knowing - I like this challenge because it spurs me to read more science, which I do enjoy, but overlook in the avalanche of fiction each year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the reminder! I've found some great science reads because of you.
    Gotta love Quirks & Quarks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raidergirl - yes, Q&Q does bring up some tempting titles! and it is always enlightening to listen to :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!