Sunday, December 27, 2009

First lines meme

Once again, this fun meme is great for the end of the year. Take the first line of each month's post over the past year and see what it tells you about your blogging year.



January
Here's a book we all need as we head into another year of reading from our vast lists. [Steve Leveen's Little Guide to your Well Read Life ]

February
The Weekly Geeks assignment this week caught my eye:
What are you passionate about besides reading and blogging?

March
March has arrived, Spring is getting closer, hurrah!

April
It's back! April brings with it the status of National Poetry Month, and I am going to celebrate once more, just I have in 2007 and 2008, by posting a poem daily.

May
In this strange and short novel by Portugese speaking Angolan author Agualusa, our narrator is a gecko.

June
This Sunday I had a very pleasant outing; a few of us from work decided a while ago that we would like to go down to another theatre town in the area, Niagara-on-the-Lake, to the Shaw Festival.

July
I am so thrilled - not only is it Canada Day, and I have the day off - but it is once again the start date for a great reading Challenge, the Canadian Book Challenge 3.

August
As always, John at the Book Mine Set, host of the excellent Canadian Book Challenge, does things in style.

September
Again with Penelope Lively! I know, I am going through a definite Lively phase.

October
It's already October, I can hardly believe how time has been flying!

November
Anyone who has been reading this blog for a while will know of my love for Alexander McCall Smith.

December

[The Blythes are Quoted] is the restored, full version of a collection first published in 1974 as The Road to Yesterday.





A pretty accurate vision of the year: authors, books, challenges, a few mentions of the seasons, and a little extracurricular cultural outing in June. Leave a comment if you try it so I can see your yearly report as well!

10 comments:

  1. A most interesting exercise! I've given it a go as well:

    http://katesbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/first-lines-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I enjoyed getting a synopsis of your year, and if I can find the time, I'll try to put together this meme on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - glad you've tried it - I find it really fun to do

    dolcebellezza - I hope you'll do it too, it is almost uncanny how well it sums up the year

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to go see if my first lines are any good. When I've tried this in the past, I've discovered that I don't begin my posts in very interesting ways! Your first lines were good though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I may try this out, even though I don't have a full year of blogging, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do many memes, but I had so much fun with this one. Thanks and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dorothy - I seem to start blogging in January with the idea that I will be creative and witty in my first posts, but forget all about it by March.

    Melanie - even a partial year would be fun to see - a good way to end your first year of blogging!

    Suko - so glad you enjoyed it! It is entertaing to see other people's years summarized this way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't help myself, I had to give it a go too: http://weeklybookpixie.blogspot.com/2009/12/first-lines-meme.html

    What a cool exercise. It does really sum up some key things about the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember thinking last year, when I first discovered your blog, Melanie, what a great idea this was.

    I confess that my favourite first line here is from May. Gecko!

    Meanwhile, I decided to do my own as well, at Bookishgal. It does make you want to be less prosaic in how you start your blog entries, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!