Thursday, April 24, 2008

Shakespeare II

Shakespeare is just too big to be limited to one day, so here is another of his sonnets. I like this one because of the way he plays with his own name and all its varied meanings:

Sonnet 135

Whoever hath her wish, thou hast thy will,
And 'Will' to boot, and 'Will' in over-plus,
More than enough am I that vex thee still,
To thy sweet will making addition thus.
Wilt thou whose will is large and spacious,
Not once vouchsafe to hide my will in thine?
Shall will in others seem right gracious,
And in my will no fair acceptance shine?
The sea all water, yet receives rain still,
And in abundance addeth to his store,
So thou being rich in will add to thy will
One will of mine to make thy large will more.
Let no unkind, no fair beseechers kill,
Think all but one, and me in that one 'Will.'



I also want to point out that I reside in the town which is home to the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. This year, they've opened the season with a preview of my absolute favourite play, Hamlet. (only wish I could have gone!) I will see it before the season is out.

Celebrating Shakespeare's birth by opening the season -- and launching the new and improved theatre gift shop and café -- is, I think, a lovely idea. Even if you're too far away to come and see anything, you can pop over to their website and watch a ton of webcasts about each of the plays and investigate the current crop of actors (including my favourite, Brian Tree).

4 comments:

  1. Hamlet is certain one of my favorites. But I can't land on what my absolute favorite is. I like Henry IV prt 1 a lot and Macbeth and Midsummer Night's Dream and, well you get the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too can never choose. I try to and then as soon as it's out of my mouth I want to change my mind. I do love Hamlet, but also Winter's Tale and King Lear. I even love the history plays.

    I have many times thought I would want to come to the festival you speak of. Maybe some year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamlet is my favorite tragedy because it has so many layers, Much Ado my favorite comedy for the snappy wit.

    I've been wanting to go to the Stratford festival for 5 years now... I'll make it one day. It's certainly cheaper/closer than going back to London (though I'd love to do that too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stefanie & TJ - there is something wonderful in each play, isn't there? Shakespeare is inexhaustible.

    Janefan - and yet, after saying the previous, I must admit that "Much Ado" is my favourite comedy as well! I love Beatrice & Benedick -- have you seen the BBC version on 'Shakespeare Retold'? It stars Damian Lewis & Sarah Parish and was SO good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!