Friday, February 16, 2018

Happy Year of the Dog!



Year of the Dog, It Is

Photo by Matthew Henry on Unsplash


Happy Year of the Dog! 2018 brings us into the Year of the Earth Dog, who is "Communicative, serious, and responsible in work". As the website TheChineseZodiac.org says, "According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2018 is the year of the Dog 🐶 and its characteristic word is ACTION!" ;)


Photo by Red Morley Hewitt on Unsplash


As for my lunar new year action, just as I have for the past 11 years, I am posting a booklist for this Year of the Dog. I can hardly believe that it's the end of the zodiac cycle for me; I started long ago in the Year of the Pig. For our last celebratory booklist, we have an easy subject. There are so many wonderful kids books featuring dogs! Here are a few favourites. 


RRRalph! / Lois Ehlert

What librarian isn't intimately familiar with Ehlert's many colourful books? This one features Rrralph the talking dog, lots of sound play, and the usual cheery, fun illustrations. Entertaining and a good way to investigate language with young readers.


Wiggle / Doreen Cronin    

Another classic in lively word play and active engagement, this picture book follows a dog who loves to move. It's the first of three in a series featuring this active little pup, but still my favourite, since the cover features hula hooping, one of my own favourite ways to get active ;) 


Love is my Favourite Thing / Emma Chichester Clark

A timely read so near to Valentine's Day, this sweet picture book chronicles the adventures of Plum the dog, who loves everything and everyone (except rain). Plum gets into all sorts of mischief, but through it all, her family never stops loving her. This author writes & illustrates her books, and another of her series, the Blue Kangaroo books, are among my favourites of all time (though there is no kangaroo in the Chinese Zodiac to be able to share them with you, I've snuck them in here!)


The McDuff Stories / Rosemary Wells   

These four charming stories follow McDuff, a little white Westie who finds a home and a name in the first story, then continues to have low-key adventures with his new family. McDuff is a dog in the best sense; not anthropomorphized and very doggish in his behaviour. The illustrations are beautiful as well. 



The Hundred and One Dalmatians / Dodie Smith 

One for the slightly older crowd, this is a classic readaloud. Who doesn't love Pongo & Perdita and their pups? And who doesn't like to see Cruella DeVille defeated? The book is wonderful, by a lovely writer whose other adult books are worth exploring.

14 comments:

  1. I was actually born in the Year of the Dog, so I have high hopes for 2018. Happy Lunar New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely your year, then! Take advantage of it :)

      Delete
  2. We went out for a special Chinese New Year's lunch today, to celebrate. Love your list of Dog books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely! Hope you had a great time, and a good start to the New Year :)

      Delete
  3. You're reminding me that I still haven't read Marshall Saunders' Beautiful Joe . This seems the very year to tackle it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either... I'll wait for your experience before I try it :)

      Delete
  4. Awwww! Dogs are so cute! And that westie looks just like the ones our family always had! :)

    kaggsysbookishramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Westies are so cute -- and so is that series of stories!

      Delete
  5. Perfect year for me. I love dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect year for a booklist too -- there are so many wonderful dog stories that it was easy to find a few favourites quickly.

      Delete
  6. I had forgotten your tradition, but I have a post on the subject going up tomorrow: so many great dog books! I've never read Dodie Smith's classics, but perhaps I should do that this year. It seems highly appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many to pick from! People do love their dogs, and writing about them too. Yes, do try the Dodie Smith, it's much better than the Disney movie -- then you can follow it up with The Starlight Barking which is a lovely title in itself.

      Delete
  7. Hi there,

    I am at 121/13.

    I have now posted all my links! I need doughnuts...LOL.

    ~ Irene

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!