Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Cover Designs! #8


I have not added a new Cover Design in quite a while. So when this copy of Rose Tremain's The American Lover came to my notice at work, I thought it would  be a perfect choice for a new entry into this occasional series here at The Indextrious Reader.

Rose Tremain first came to my attention mainly through the efforts of Simon at Savidge Reads, who was  Trespassing with Tremain, a reading event held last year.

This story of this novel, centred around a Parisian love affair in the 1960s, is clearly telegraphed by this cover. That glossy damask dress, gloves and hairdo say "60s" to me. And fortunately, I have just the pattern to recreate this look.

Vogue 8020 is a current pattern that is heavily influenced by this vintage look. It has the fitted bodice, dropped waist & pleated skirt of this cover dress, though for an exact copy, the sewist would have to add a couple of tucks into the shoulder seams. View A has the closest match I think, and instead of that black belt, a matching sash out of self fabric would copy the book cover very closely.

V8020, Misses'/Misses' Petite Dress and Belt
Add these shoes to your outfit, especially if you make it in a gorgeous pink brocade like the book model is wearing.

Vintage 60s Shoes Pumps Heels Formal Evening Silver Lame with Bow Size 6 B  Mid Century Mad Men

A brocade perhaps like this one:
SILK-BROCADE-FABRIC-HOT-PINK-GOLD-44-BRO27-4
Or switch it up and make it in show-stopping red for the holidays, like this wonderful sewist did! Cocktail wear just in time for the festive season...

4 comments:

  1. That is an elegant dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I wish I had a fancy event to go to, so I could justify adding a brocade party dress to my sewing queue :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!