Thursday, May 25, 2023

100 Greatest Children's Books of All Time!! And my own additions...

 


Just this week an article appeared on the BBC website -- a list of the "100 Greatest Children's Books of All Time", voted on by a group of 107 different bookish people from around the world. Each person got 10 choices, and they were all collated and ranked to make up the final list.

Of course, the claim made in the title of this list is quite ambitious! 100 Greatest for whom? And how about the missing ones? One issue I have with this list is that they did not separate out picture books from early chapter books or middle grade reads. How do you compare The Very Hungry Caterpillar with Anne of Green Gables? Hard to do that. And of course, I have some disagreements as to what makes something a "children's book" (ie: why is Lord of the Rings or Watership Down on this list?)

Take a look and see what you think of it -- and how many books on this list you've read. And then share which book you would have added to your own list instead of some of these choices. 

I was quite happy to see some of my favourites on this list (Anne, the Moomins, A Wrinkle in Time, and more) but there are definitely 10 titles not on this list that I would have chosen for my own. So here are my 10 replacement titles that I think could replace the non-children's titles currently there ;) These are all books that I personally love and would gladly share with any reader! I hope that you'll check these out too, and share your own picks :)


5 Picture Books

  1. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom / Bill Martin 
  2. Millions of Cats / Wanda Gag
  3. Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes / Eric Litwin
  4. The Paper Bag Princess / Robert Munsch 
  5.  The Mitten / Jan Brett


5 Chapter Books

  1. The Witch of Blackbird Pond / Elizabeth George Speare
  2. The Little White Horse / Elizabeth Goudge
  3. The Trumpet of the Swan / E.B. White
  4. Mrs. Frisby & The Rats of NIMH / Robert O'Brien
  5. The Borrowers / Mary Norton


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!