Sunday, August 21, 2016

Interlude: #7favWITreads




Over at Biblibio, host of this wonderful Women in Translation month, she's just shared 7 of her favourite WIT reads -- as suggested by another reader, Jacqui at JacquiWine's Journal.

I think this is a great idea! So I'm sharing mine here -- some favourites, not favourites-of-all-time, that is too hard to whittle down. Share yours too if you would like!



Kitchen / Banana Yoshimoto (translated from Japanese by Megan Backus)

Please Look After Mom / Kyung-Sook Shin (translated from Korean by Chi-Young Kim)

Wildlives / Monique Proulx (translated from French by David Homel & Fred A. Reed)

Fairy Ring / Martine Desjardins (translated from French by Fred A. Reed & David Homel)

The Artificial Silk Girl /Irmgard Keun (translated from German by Kathie von Ankum)

Broken / Karen Fossum (translated from Norwegian by Charlotte Barsland)

Three Bags Full / Leonie Swann (translated from German by Anthea Bell)







 

11 comments:

  1. What a great reading event. I love to read foreign fiction although I'm a bit behind my personal goals this year - well so far :)

    Banana Yoshimoto is wonderful. I've read several of her books and have really enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've caught up to my own personal goals this month :) Yes, I've really enjoyed all of Banana Yoshimoto as well. I still like Kitchen best, but she is such an interesting writer for me.

      Delete
  2. I have read Kitchen, and other books by Banana Yoshimoto as well. (Now that I've been to Japan, I'm even more interested in Japanese literature.) This does sound like a terrific reading event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you - I'd love to go to Japan someday.

      This has been a terrific reading month - I'm finding so many great reads off of my own shelves :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I forgot that Three Bags Full was in translation: I've been looking for an excuse to finally read that one! Banana Yoshimoto is one of my MustReadEverything authors, although I haven't enjoyed the later-translated titles quite as much as the earlier ones (maybe it was simply timing). I've also enjoyed Gioconda Belli and Eva Hoffman. I think I've said this before, but I really must keep an eye on August to participate in this event next year: your posts have been quite inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is, and a perfect excuse to read a great mystery! Enjoy it.

      I agree about Banana Yoshimoto's books -but could very well be timing, as I was in university when I discovered her and she was just perfectly suited to that moment.

      I haven't read Belli or Hoffman...maybe next August ;)

      Delete
  4. Nice choices. I read The Artificial Silk Girl this month and loved it.

    kaggsysbookishramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that - it was pretty striking, wasn't it? Have you tried After Midnight yet?

      Delete
    2. I have indeed - it was the first Keun I read and I loved it!

      kaggsysbookishramblings

      Delete
  5. Kitchen is one of my favorites, too. In fact I love every every Japanese writer I've read, but the women's work is truly lovely. Here I'm hi min of Ogawa, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain loveliness in Japanese women's fiction, I find.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!