Sunday, October 19, 2014

Readathon: After Thoughts


So, I did The Readathon yesterday. And I had a great time. Honestly, it didn't feel that much different than a normal weekend, except that it went on a lot longer! I usually spend my Saturday with breakfast and tea and a few hours of reading. Then some more reading in the evening. So this was just a more sustained effort. And I was very pleasantly surprised than I was able to read until the wee hours, and made it to Hour 19.

This is how I did --

Finished 5 books!

  • Between the Acts by Virginia Woolf
  • One Foolish Heart by June Wilson
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
  • Three-Legged Horse by Ann Hood
  • After Leaving Mr Mackenzie by Jean Rhys

And started 2 more that I want to finish right away:


  • Faith Fox by Jane Gardam
  • Some Tame Gazelle by Barbara Pym


And then I ate quite healthily too, with premade good food for breakfast and lunch, lots of tea, some healthy daytime snacks....then I crashed with pizza for dinner, and chocolate with more tea throughout the evening! It was very enjoyable though.

I was also pleased that I could blog and tweet along, and both discover and rediscover other bloggers and readers. Definitely worth giving this event a try even once, so if you're on the fence about the idea of reading for 24 hours, try this sometime -- it runs both in April and October so there are regular intervals to be thinking about it. I had a great time, and got some great books in. And isn't that what it is all about!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing 5 books, that's great!! I'm glad you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five books is fantastic, as is reading for 19 hours. I quit after 16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was getting a bit sleepy by Hour 19...but wanted to finish my last book!

      Delete
  3. Whoop! Whoop! Success! I've discovered the secret of being able to comment on your blog, Mel: I have to do it from work; I simply cannot do it when I try from home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh -- so glad to hear that. Maybe I'll have to try different computers to fix my own problems commenting on WP blogs! Happy to see you back here though ;)

      Delete
  4. Melwyk, it sounds like you enjoyed the read-a-thon, that you were able to read and blog (and tweet) as well. You must be better at time management than me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just hyper-focused on the readathon, I think ;) Plus not having anyone else to look after while doing it...

      Delete
  5. 19 hours is impressive! So is finishing 5 books! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I'd make it that long :) Was fun -- glad to see you enjoyed your Readathon too

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by ~ I always enjoy hearing your comments so please feel free to leave some!